- The Private Room
- SQ26 SIN-FRA-JFK Suites
- Luftansa Senator Lounge
- New York Marriott Marquis
- The Ritz Carlton New York Nomad
- Kimpton Eventi New York
- Conrad New York Downtown
- SQ25 JFK-FRA Business
- The Westin Grand Frankfurt
- Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel and Conference Centre
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge
- SQ25 FRA-SIN Suites
I thought long and hard about choosing this property for 2 nights after RC Nomad because I’ve never tried a Kimpton, and it’s a 5-min walk from RC so I can just roll my luggage over (yays to saving on Uber!). Then came along the Kimpton Annual Sale which was (I think) a solid 30% discount off the rates for my dates and cancellable so I went ahead to book while brosing other options. And then came along the IHG Ambassador 20k points for any 2-night stay so that sealed the deal.
Address – 851 6th Avenue, New York, New York 10001 United States. Website.
Contact – Tel: +1 212 564 4567. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Price – USD258++ per night = USD644nett for 2nights total, booked for a 1 King Essential under the Kimpton Annual Sale. Knowing that rates were hovering above USD400 the last I checked, this sale was a good deal! It was also a timely occasion to try out my new Diamond Elite status, which at this property means “Diamond Elite and Inner Circle choose from a $25/Raid the Bar credit, Free Breakfast for 2, or IHG One Rewards points”. In addition, the Amex Gold offer of USD75 off for $300 spend came just in time and further buffered my cost.
Location – This property is in a rather funky neighborhood, abit hipish, abit random. It is still in the same neighborhood as RC Nomad, but about 1.5 block away on the other side. There’s a smattering of small shops around but nothing really exciting.
It’s hard to ignore Kimpton Hotel Eventi. Partly because we occupy an entire city block between West 29th and West 30th Streets on Sixth Avenue. Partly because our first floor has been reinvented into a high-style hub for wining, dining and socializing the night away. But mostly because we place our guests steps from artsy Chelsea’s plentiful offerings: high-profile art galleries, one-of-a-kind boutiques, party-till-the-wee-hours nightclubs, Chelsea Market, the High Line promenade with its verdant gardens and frequent flea markets, and Chelsea Piers recreation complex. Even when you leave Chelsea, you don’t leave fun behind. Go explore surrounding neighborhoods like NoMad and Flatiron District, plus famed landmarks like the Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockefeller Center and many more.From property’s website
Pre-arrival – because I was curious, I stalked out the hotel website and saw an entire list of guest amenities – some are worthy of mention, some not so much so here goes anyways:
Amenities & Services
- Complimentary WiFi for IHG One Rewards members
- IHG One Rewards members get extended 2:00 p.m. Late Check Out
- Healthy Travel: Take one of Kimpton’s custom designed PUBLIC bikes for a ride around town. Our hotel bikes are there for all of our guests to enjoy
- Complimentary morning coffee and tea
- It gives us peace of mind to know your body and mind’s at peace. That’s why we supply a yoga mat in every room, free of charge
- Onsite 24-hour fitness center
- Featuring Atelier Bloem products (paraben, gluten and silicone-free) in all rooms
- Mini-bar service available in all the guest rooms
- Hosted evening wine hour in the lobby living room
- Getting your mind right is perhaps the most important part of wellness. That’s why we’ve partnered with Talkspace, online therapy from the comfort of your phone. Kimpton guests new to Talkspace receive $100 off the first month of any Talkspace plan by entering code “KIMPTON” in the app.
- Valet laundry service and shoeshine
- Valet parking – $50 + tax per day, $65 + tax for SUVs and large vehicles (an additional fee of up to a full additional night will accrue for vehicles left after 1:00pm on day of departure)
- Pet-friendly accommodations – bring your loyal companion with you
- Enjoy complimentary access to Wag! Premium during your stay (including 10% off all services booked, waived booking fees, and 24/7 access to licensed veterinary professionals). Wag! connects pet parents with professional pet caregivers for pet walking, boarding or sitting. Booked a walk? If you’ve arranged a dog walk while staying with us, be sure to leave a key with the front desk for your dog walker. Any questions about dog walking? Just ask the front desk team!
- Our complimentary On-Demand Family Fridge Program helps guests safely store breast milk while staying with us. Upon request, one of our dedicated Mini Me Milk Fridges will be delivered to your room for your personal use.
- The IHG One Rewards Elite welcome amenity: Platinum Elite choose from a $15/ Raid the Bar credit or IHG One Rewards points, Diamond Elite and Inner Circle choose from a $25/Raid the Bar credit, Free Breakfast for 2, or IHG One Rewards points.
Your daily guest amenities fee of $20 plus tax includes the following:
- Upgraded WiFi
- Long Distance and Local phone calls
- Access to our state-of-the-art Fitness Center and Peloton Bikes
- Complimentary access to our Business Services
- Kimpton Press Reader access for the latest news
- Access to Kimpton Library
Check In – I rolled my luggage into the lobby at close to 1pm
I was actually quite pleased at how modern the public areas look. Thre were only 2 counters available but I was quickly attended to.
I was excited to try the Social Password too:
The Kimpton Social Password is a rather fun concept of getting guests to say a code word at check in which will score them some freebies ranging from room upgrades, room credits, breakfast etc. Properties honor the system differently so you really wouldn’t know what you get until check in. These passwords are published on Kimpton’s social media, and typically has no stipulated timeline.
For my stay, the password was “The Snuggle Is Real” and I mentioned this to the staff – to my surprise she said the password is not in use yet as its only from winter onwards. I knew this was not true as I did my research and reports say it starts from the date of my check in so I pushed back. Another staff then clarified that the password is indeed already valid – to which the first staff said no one told her. Eh?
Anyways, they brought out the spin wheel and I tried my hand at it – and got free breakfast for 2pax. I was a little bummed as Diamonds can already choose free breakfast as their welcome amenity, so the staff allowed me to give it another go. This time, I got……a free movie. Ah wells. Staff then said they will document this properly to make sure the final billing is correct.
In any case I was told I’ve been upgraded to a King Essential City View so off I went.
Room – My King Essential City View (25 SqM) was …. disappointing. The room looked far aged than in pictures, had many signs of wear & tear, and suffered from the unfortunate choice of dark dreary colors all round. My pictures have all been brightened ifr aesthetic sake but in-person it is a little sad.
You first see your very dark wardrobe in the long-ish hallway containing the usual stuff and bathrobe which I didn’t feel like wearing.
The main bedroom space actually feels rather spacious – a king bed with bedside table equipped with USB and 2-pin charging ports. .
There is also an ipad for browsing hotel info and getting hotel service eg housekeeping, room service etc. Later that same evening, I decided to utilize my free movie credit and watch Black Adam – oh what a crappy show. Thank goodness it was free.
There is also a desk space with chair + TV, also where your fridge is (fully stocked). There is thought no complimentary water here – instead they place a glass bottled here stating a USD8 price tag. I was given a headsup by a friend so lugged RC’s water over but I thought it was quite stingy of the property. There is also a single seater couch here which ended up being my barang storage area.
The bathroom is thankfully brighter than the rest of the room and perfectly adequate for a short stay. A single sink with generous countertop space, an open concept toilet, and a big standing shower space with strangely a wooden stool in one corner.
Toiletries are Atelier Bloem products (paraben, gluten and silicone-free), but body lotion is Aveda branded.
Amenities upon arrival is sparse but a note is placed in the bathroom nook with a list of things available upon request or for purchase which I thought was a neat feature – they even offer to grab items for you if not on their list it says.
Breakfast – served at The Vine from 7:00am-10:30am, there is a different menu for Diamonds versus the regular breakfast menu. And yes, the menu is a casual print out instead of a proper copy.
The small-ish area was hardly crowded during the times I visited, and staff is quick to attend to you. A small cluster of tables dot the space, with additional seating available on a mezzanine level.
I picked the two eggs any style for both my mornings and they were sufficient for a simple morning – mains are served with toast if you need it. The staff was kind enough to allow me to try a second main as my breakfast benefit is for 2pax and I tried the mixed berries with orangic yoghurt or greek yoghurt – it was just okay.
Other Food & Beverage offerings:
The property touts complimentary morning coffee for in-house guests from 7:30am – 9:30am and it literally is a dispenser with brewed coffee for your taking. Only regular coffee is complimentary, and any other variations are chargeable.
The Kimpton brand also does a hosted evening wine hour in the lobby living room so this property is no exception. It is held 5-6pm on weekdays and 4-5pm on weekends and is a staffed mobile wine trolley serving a red and a white in disposable cups. You can drink as much as you want during the hour. Wine quality was just fine.
Facilities – I checked out the property’s 24hr Fitness Centre – it was smallish, a little sparse in equipment though.
Service – No complaints as I had limited interactions with the staff.
Check Out – Painless done at the front desk around 12noon. I was assured I was all set and I left but only to find an additional charge of USD27.21 on my bill after 2 weeks when reviewing my statement. Turns out, they went ahead to charge me for the movie anyway – and I lodged a report with IHG but what a hassle! The hotel later reached out to me directly at the request of IHG and they simply said they refund the amount without any apologies.
My stay was functional to hit the Ambassador promotion and luckily prices were decent (in NYC context). But I wouldn’t stay here again, especially when their attitude to overcharging a guest is terrible. STAY AWAY.
4 thoughts on “[Hotel Review] SUITE DREAMS – Kimpton Eventi New York”
Pingback: [Hotel Review] Conrad New York Downtown - Satu Kosong's Travel Blog
Pingback: [Flight Review] SQ25 New York to Frankfurt - Business - Satu Kosong's Travel Blog
Pingback: [Hotel Review] SUITE DREAMS - Sheraton Frankfurt Airport and Conference Centre - Satu Kosong's Travel Blog
Pingback: [Flight Review] SUITE DREAMS - SQ25 Frankfurt to Singapore (Suites) - Satu Kosong's Travel Blog